Friday 5 July 2013

DVD Box set of the week: Police Squad


Police Squad poster
The name's Sergeant A.S.Chambers, lieutenant detective of Police Squad...

Ah, I wish. As much as I might aspire to have my own spoof TV cop show, I think I'll leave it to the experts and nobody ever made one quite as expertly as Messrs. Zucker, Zucker and Abrahams (of Airplane fame).
I recently picked up the DVD of Police Squad and was amazed that it only ran for six short episodes. I had in my sepia-tinted memory a series that ran for... well for ever. I can only guess that I must have started to blur it into the Naked Gun Movies and the cider commercials that it spawned.

But what a six episode run it was! For those not familiar with the show (and shame on you for that!) Police Squad was a spoof of 1960's/70's cop shows such as Ironside and Hawaii-five-oh with clean-cut cops chasing villainous hoodlum or murderers. It was also given a first person commentary which was voiced by the main character, Frank Drebin (played by the marvellous Leslie Nielsen). Being full of Airplane-style sight gags and verbal puns, the viewer definitely had to stay sharp in case they missed something.

Possibly its most famous elements were the opening credits. I still giggle maniacally at the police station erupting into a hail of gunfire and the plain clothes cop running through while on fire (small things do amuse me, I know), and the ubiquitous shot of Rex Hamilton as Abe Lincoln is a hoot. I often wonder if that was his real name and did he do any other work? If someone knows, please drop me a line. The other great part of the intro was the “guest appearance” which usually involved said guest getting stabbed, shot or done over in another amusing fashion. William Shatner was my fave one of these. The look of glee on his face is unmistakable.

There are quotes from the series just make me roll on the floor. Here are some of the best:
Frank Drebin: We're sorry to bother you at such a time like this, Mrs. Twice. We would have come earlier, but your husband wasn't dead then.
Frank Drebin: Now do you think you can beat The Champ?
Buddy: I can take him blindfolded.
Frank Drebin: What if he's not blindfolded?
Buddy: I can still beat him.
Frank Drebin: When I got home I received a call from Mimi Du Jour, she wanted me to come to the club right away. Since I had no idea where the Club Rightaway was, I suggested to go to the Club Flamingo. She agreed.
"Mrs. V": That was nice work. You took a big chance doing that.
Frank Drebin: Well, you take a big chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan.

Anyway, I'll shut up now and let you head over to Amazon or some other such site where you can pick this little gem up at a real snip. It's really good “cheer-yourself-up” TV. Don't take it too seriously. Just sit back and enjoy the gags as they come thick and fast.

Thanks for reading this blog. If you like what you see feel free to visit my website (www.aschambers.co.uk), follow me on Facebook (A.S.Chambers) or stalk me on Twitter (@ASChambersUK) where you can find various bits and bobs regarding books, films TV series and whatever drops into my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment